Tuesday, January 3, 2012

WIP_Popeye_Pose and Proportions


I've just been mucking around with some different ideas to get proportions of Popeye somewhat accurate and faithful to the concept so i found some character sheets:


I started with a 7 head ratio (5.4 feet) but based of the character sheets he should be around 6.5 heads which is around 4.9 feet (with an average 9 inch head size).

In the image bellow shows my Popeye line up where i tried to get what i felt was the right proportions all are 7 heads expect model 4 and 5 where i tried actually shorting him to 4.9 feet  (4 with shorter legs 5 without) but i felt this way too short. 7 heads seems like the right size as he is squatting so at full stretch i would imagine he could gain half a head :P. I like 7 and 8 (basically the same except 7 is squatting) and the idea of instead of shorting the legs I’ll have his pants riding lower on him.

Also here’s a print screen from the first Popeye cartoon (movie not book), its the his first shot in the short so i though it would be a fitting setting and pose for my "realistic Popeye"